[jcifs] Linux and Windows

Tyrrell, James JTyrrell at AEGONUSA.com
Wed Mar 26 04:52:32 EST 2003

Everyone,

Okay I think I got though my localhost and IP address problem with the
latter blocking my access to the site.

Now I have a question.  The filter servlet that is running seems to look for
certain strings and if they are not found in the header then it denies
access to the server or in other words sends a 401.  Of course some of these
strings are only set by IE, shouldn't this filter try to detect in the
header the users browser and work as it does for IE, but allow or create
another behavior if the users browser is not IE?

I guess my question is as I create web applications I find this library to
be a godsend, however it also ties me into only having Windows users.  Since
something like this library is useful on the LAN, then I would like a back
door that my Linux and other computer users can get into my site.

Maybe I do not know enough about filtering and maybe I can create a filter
that would enable this, but I am not sure how to make that work.

Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

I hunted around for some thoughts on this and have not found any yet.

Thank You
Jim Tyrrell