[jcifs] NTLM + TOMCAT 4.1.18 + IE 6.0 (WINDOWS (98)

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Tue Mar 25 11:21:31 EST 2003

Both etheral_dump.pcap and file_capture.pcap appear to show the same behavior which is:

C: GET foo
S: 401 w/ WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
C: GET foo w/ Authorization: NTLM type-1-message
S: 401 w/ WWW-Authenticate: NTLM type-2-message

and that's it. This is normal negotiation up to this point but the client should then issue a third
get with the type-3-message. But it just doesn't. It's possible that it did not like the format of the
type-2-message or header arrangements.

The definitive way to resolve the issue is to get a packet capture of a Win98/IE6 client
communicating successfully with an NTLM HTTP authentication server preferrably IIS. Do
you (or anyone else) have access to such a server? Special setup will be required to get the
capture. Either netmon must be installed on the client or server or a linux machine with ethereal
needs to be on a hub (not a switch) with the client or server. Also there might be additional
setup for Win98 to emulate how NT "joins" a domain but I'm not famililar with that at all.

Mike