[jcifs] Some questions about Windows vs Linux

Tyrrell, James JTyrrell at AEGONUSA.com
Tue Mar 25 08:23:51 EST 2003

Everyone,

All comments have to do with the jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.
I have playing with this package over the last few days and can not seem to
get this to work under Linux but it works fine under windows.

Some questions:
1.)  If this can work under Linux how are you supposed to test it, looking
at the code it looks like if I hit this from Mozilla then it will return to
me an HttpServletResponse.SC_UNAUTHORIZED?  The docs at
http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html seem to indicate if a user
is not authenticated then there user name gotten with a
request.getUserName() is not set, however I just get a can not get to error
in the logs of 401.

2.)  I am running the same configuration of Jetty on Linux and Windows the
windows server from ie gives me the user name as I would have thought,
however hitting the Linux box a prompt is given to the ie user and even with
everything passed in they are still unable to get access.  Has anyone used
this on Linux and hit a windows domain controller and gotten the user name.
Does anyone use Jetty or should I use Tomcat?

3.)  I tried to turn on the logging from the web.xml file with the parameter
syntax but that did not work, why?  Again I looked at the code and I would
have thought this would have worked.

I am at wits end after spending all day on this.  Any feedback would be a
great help.  This is so cool that this works from windows, but I am stumped
as to my Linux issues.

I should add that I changed my hosts file on Linux to resolve my IP address
from 127.0.0.1 to my assigned one and I have tried several domain
controllers.  I will also add that I am not getting any errors at all echoed
anywhere.

Thank You
Jim Tyrrell