[jcifs] Pop up message over smb??

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Mar 14 08:52:09 EST 2003

"Michael B. Allen" wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:14:58 +0100
> Marc Roy Olsen <spam at wildride.dk> wrote:
>
> > Is there a api for java, so I can use the popup funktion in samba???
>
> We have not implemented that function. I believe that is a transact
> named pipe function. We have transact named pipes but some code would
> be necessary to create/send/recieve the message. I believe it's on The
> List but it's not a high priority because it is not a reliable messaging
> system.

It's similar to named pipes but handled differently.  The SMB Messanger
system is documented in the X/Open SMB IPC book which is now *free*
(registration required, etc.).  You can find the X/Open docs here:

IPC Mechanisms for SMB
    ISBN 1-872630-28-6, The Open Group, February 1992.
(Now available online at:
http://www.opengroup.org/products/publications/catalog/c195.htm)

Protocols for X/Open PC Interworking: SMB, Version 2
    ISBN 1-872630-45-6, The Open Group, October 1992.
(Now available online at:
http://www.opengroup.org/products/publications/catalog/c209.htm)

So, if someone wants to contribute some code...

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org