[jcifs] CIFS Server Java API

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Mar 14 08:47:51 EST 2003

"Michael B. Allen" wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:38:42 -0800
> "Ali Ozgun" <ali at nextengine.com> wrote:
>
> > hi All,
> > is there a CIFS Server API implementation around, that lets us actually
> > implement the interfaces
> > according our own system to serve up our own content.
>
> The only Java server I'm aware of is Stalasoft's. See the link on our
> home page. I have never used it.

In addition, there isn't really any such thing as a CIFS Server API.  You
can look at the SNIA doc and implement the 'best-practices' set of SMB
messages, but I don't know what will happen then.  The clients may be polite
and ask your server to do only what it can do, or they might start DoSing
you with Trans2, NTTrans, and DCE/RPC requests that you can't complete
unless you write lots and lots of other stuff too.

I haven't gotten that yet (and Samba aims toward the implement-everything
extreme) so I don't know what will actually happen.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org