[jcifs] This may be silly, but: How important is SmbFile to NTLM Authentication.

dave mobley scprotz at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:11:01 EST 2003

So, before everyone blasts me, I've read through the code and noticed that
some of the files used for the NTLM authentication component eventually rely
on SmbFile (I don't know exactly how at this point, other than UniAddress
needs Netbios which needs Lmhosts which needs SmbFileInputStream which needs
SmbFile....whew...thats a mouthful!)

My project is to port the NTLM authentication piece to 1.1.8 (sorry, I don't
need the file sharing...I just want to use it to authenticate in my
servlets).

I'm using an outdated servlet engine and jdk (2.0 and 1.1.8 respectively -
trust me...I'd change if I could).

I can (with some mild changes back to 'deprecated' forms of methods) get
everything to compile except for SmbFile (looking at it a bit, I don't even
thing it would compile under jdk1.2.2)

So, back to my question, how important is SmbFile for the authentication
piece? (can it be subbed out with something else that is happy inside
jdk1.1.8)?

Any ideas please (this is a great mailing list btw...everyone is so helpful
here..)

Your ideas, input, blasts, flame-mail, off-topic mail all appreciated (but
I'd rather keep it pointed at the topic for the first few emails).

Thanks,

Dave Mobley
scprotz at hotmail.com