[jcifs] UnsupportedEncodingException: UnicodeLittleUnmarked

eglass1 at attbi.com eglass1 at attbi.com
Tue Jun 17 02:19:24 EST 2003

> Hi folks
>
> I am trying to get the NtlmHttpAuthExample.java running. It runs perfectly fine
> on Windows NT 4.0/Tomcat 4.03/JDK1.3.1_03
> But when I move to Solaris 8/Tomcat 4.03/JDK1.3.1_03 I always receive the
> following exception:
>
> java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: UnicodeLittleUnmarked
> 	at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
> 	at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
> 	at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
> 	at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
> 	at java.io.IOException.(IOException.java:47)
> 	at

Hmm.  "UnicodeLittleUnmarked" is hardcoded in jCIFS; if your JVM doesn't
support that encoding, it will cause issues.  However, Sun's should:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html

Technically, UnicodeLittleUnmarked isn't required to be supported by
a particular vendor.  "UTF-16LE" is, but I'm not sure if that has a byte order
mark or not (we definitely don't want a byte order mark, which is probably why
UnicodeLittleUnmarked is hardcoded).  From the link above, however, it
indicates that Sun's "UTF-16LE" is just an alias for "UnicodeLittleUnmarked".
This may not hold true for other vendors, however.  Mike, do you have any
insight into this?  If UTF-16LE is indeed unmarked, that would would be the
preferred encoding (since it is guaranteed to be supported on any JVM
implementation).

In any case, it is curious that your installation doesn't support
UnicodeLittleUnmarked; I don't know that this has come up before.

Eric