[jcifs] jCifs writing to Mailslots

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jun 12 03:02:59 EST 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 03:07:17PM +0200, Sascha Teifke wrote:
> Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 04:42:54PM +0200, Sascha Teifke wrote:
> >

> >>Yes, they do.
> >>

> >Only if there is something listening.  Even on older Windows systems, you
> >need to have the WinPopup application running or the messages are not
> >displayed.
> >
> My world is a 100% pure WinXP Environment :-( I'm not very happy about
> this but it is as it is ...

You must have been very, very bad in a past life.

> To receive those messages you need to run a Service called Messaging
> Service (translated from german)
> who runs by default and isn't deactivated in "my world".

Interesting.  I don't have XP to test against.  In older Windows versions
you had to run the WinPopup application.  Otherwise the messages would be
received but not displayed.

The "Messenger Service" is the underlying system that receives and
transmits the messages.  It registers NetBIOS names with a <03> suffix.

> >There is a newer RPC-based mechanism that is more reliable, but I don't
> >know much about it.
> >

> That sounds very interesting. I will have a look on it!

Windows/XP Pro can run filesharing without running NetBIOS services.  The
Messenger Service is NetBIOS-based.  So, if you were to go ahead and move
away from NetBIOS you would find that the Messanger Service would no
longer work.

Note, though, that the term "Messanger Service" may have morphed.  I don't
know what Microsoft means when they say "Messanger Service" these days.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org