[jcifs] threaded network crawler code examples (transport problem)

Dan Dumont Dan at canofsleep.com
Tue Jul 29 13:32:12 EST 2003

What you are saying makes sense, Mike.  I agree with you that you can't go
making all sorts of threads for non existent hosts.  That's why, in the
existing threads that do the scanning, I put a mini port scan with a 3
second timeout on the cifs port.  To filter out dead hosts, and if a host
takes > 3 seconds I don't wanna scan it.  (jdk 1.4 implemented timeouts on
socket connects)

But what you need to do is make a transport for each thread, like you said.
But not only that, you need to maintain a separate maxmpxcount for each
server you are connected to, like Chris stated and you agreed.

Having the variable static is not just a minor problem.   I looked through
the code.  You never increase maxmpxcount, the only time you ever modify it
is here

negotiatedMaxMpxCount = client.maxMpxCount < server.maxMpxCount ?
client.maxMpxCount : server.maxMpxCount;

Take the lesser of the two

mpxCtrl.maxMpxCount = negotiatedMaxMpxCount < 1 ? 1 : negotiatedMaxMpxCount;

If its less then one, set it to one, otherwise leave it alone.

And that will never result in an upping of the count. So once you've hit a
bad server, you are screwed, for the rest of the index.   Regardless of how
many dead hosts you hit. EVERY live host from then on out will be executed
one after the other.

Thank you for your time, both of you.
-Dan