[jcifs] Supposed problem with the LGPL. Sigh.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jul 23 05:38:19 EST 2003

I don't know if anyone saw this when it was fresh:

  http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/17/2257224&mode=thread&tid=108&tid=117&tid=126&tid=156&tid=99

I am not sure what it means to us, but I haven't read it in-depth.  Our
choice of the LGPL was made specifically to ensure that jCIFS could be
used (license-wise) with all existing Java JVMs and JDKs.  jCIFS was
intended as a toolkit so the creation of closed-source, proprietary
applications built on top of jCIFS was not considered a problem.

I believe that it is still our intent to permit the use of jCIFS as a
component for use with software under other licenses, as long as changes
to the jCIFS code itself are made available under the terms of the LGPL.

Any comments?  I'll try to spend some time following this up.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org