[jcifs] Why would auth work on one server and not on another?

Dave Mobley scprotz at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:57:51 EST 2003

(One last try, and for all those that might have received this multiple
times, I'm very sorry..)

Here is a packet capture I've made.  It appears that IE is sending a
response back to the server (it's 2nd 'get').  If this were the case though,
I would think the server would be responding.  Mozilla seems to think
everything is ok and does respond (actually makes the 2nd 'get'), but on
Domino, i've been watching, and the 2nd 'get' request is never made by IE.

I really don't know how to read the ethereal packets that well and so here
is what I 'think' but don't know why it is happening:

Mozilla, even though it gets a 'Connection: closed' header, continues with
the NTLM logon (and the server obliges by accepting the 2nd 'get') and thus
completes the negotiation.

IE, also receives the 'Connection: closed' header, and as per the trace in
ethereal, actually generates and sends out a 2nd 'get', but yet, on my
server, I have turned on every flag possible, and no 2nd 'get' request is
ever made.  It is almost as if IE makes the request, but it doesn't go
anywhere.

Again, maybe I am reading the capture incorrectly, so please, correct me if
I am wrong.