[jcifs] Why would auth work on one server and not on another?

Dave Mobley scprotz at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 03:35:40 EST 2003

Here is my NtlmSsp.  Except for the commented out 'flushbuffer()', it is the
same as in 0.7.8

Any suggestions why it might a connection under 1 server and work fine on
another?  If a packet capture of a working server is needed, I can provide
that as well.

/* jcifs smb client library in Java

* Copyright (C) 2002 "Michael B. Allen" <jcifs at samba dot org>

* "Eric Glass" <jcifs at samba dot org>

* "Jason Pugsley" <jcifs at samba dot org>

* "skeetz" <jcifs at samba dot org>

*

* This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or

* modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public

* License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either

* version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

*

* This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU

* Lesser General Public License for more details.

*

* You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public

* License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software

* Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

*/

package jcifs.http;

import java.io.IOException;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;

import jcifs.smb.NtlmPasswordAuthentication;

import jcifs.util.Base64;

import jcifs.ntlmssp.NtlmFlags;

import jcifs.ntlmssp.Type1Message;

import jcifs.ntlmssp.Type2Message;

import jcifs.ntlmssp.Type3Message;

/**

* This class is used internally by <tt>NtlmHttpFilter</tt>,

* hashes via NTLM SSP with MSIE. It might also be used directly by servlet

* containers to incorporate similar functionality.

* <p>

* How NTLMSSP is used in conjunction with HTTP and MSIE clients is

* described in an <A HREF="http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html">NTLM

* Authentication Scheme for HTTP</A>. <p> Also, read <a

* href="../../../ntlmhttpauth.html">jCIFS NTLM HTTP Authentication and

* the Network Explorer Servlet</a> related information.

*/

public class NtlmSsp implements NtlmFlags {

/**

* Performs NTLM authentication for the servlet request.

*

* @param req The request being serviced.

* @param resp The response.

* @param challenge The domain controller challenge.

* @throws IOException If an IO error occurs.

* @throws ServletException If an error occurs.

*/

public NtlmPasswordAuthentication doAuthentication(HttpServletRequest req,

HttpServletResponse resp, byte[] challenge)

throws IOException, ServletException {

String msg = req.getHeader("Authorization");

if (msg != null && msg.startsWith("NTLM ")) {

byte[] src = Base64.decode(msg.substring(5));

if (src[8] == 1) {

System.out.println("Type 1 message");

Type1Message type1 = new Type1Message(src);

Type2Message type2 = new Type2Message(type1, challenge,

Type2Message.getDefaultDomain());

msg = Base64.encodeBytes(type2.toByteArray());

System.out.println("type 1 message = " + msg);

resp.setHeader( "WWW-Authenticate", "NTLM " + msg );

resp.setContentLength( 0 );

} else if (src[8] == 3) {

System.out.println("type 3 message");

Type3Message type3 = new Type3Message(src);

byte[] lmResponse = type3.getLMResponse();

if (lmResponse == null) lmResponse = new byte[0];

byte[] ntResponse = type3.getNTResponse();

if (ntResponse == null) ntResponse = new byte[0];

return new NtlmPasswordAuthentication(type3.getDomain(),

type3.getUser(), lmResponse, ntResponse);

}

} else {

resp.setHeader("WWW-Authenticate", "NTLM");

resp.setHeader("Connection", "close");

}

resp.setStatus(HttpServletResponse.SC_UNAUTHORIZED);

// resp.flushBuffer();

return null;

}

}