[jcifs] jCIFS Updates, redux

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Thu Jul 10 14:55:15 EST 2003

Very nice. I would like to see the "Recursive Composition" technique
pushed all the way up like TypeXMessage.encodeBytes( byte[] dst,
int dstIndex, ...) but considering those messages are just passed to
Base64.encode() the buffering technique is already inverted so I don't
suppose it really matters. The 'new byte[0]'s in Type1Message.toByteArray()
could probably go away. Then again, I would have to do a lot of cleanup
of my own code to meet these standards.

Q: Did you change SmbComSessionSetupAndX.java or
SmbComTreeConnectAndX.java since patches.zip? Similarly, are you certain
your change to SmbComSessionSetupAndX.java will not break Win95/98/ME
clients that expect a password length of 0 in some cases?:

62,64c62,64
<                 passwordLength = unicodePasswordLength = 24;
<                 // fix for win9x clients
<                 if (unicodePassword.length == 0) unicodePasswordLength = 0;
---
>                 // fix for NTLMv2 or empty NTLM/LM
>                 passwordLength = accountPassword.length;
>                 unicodePasswordLength = unicodePassword.length;

Finally, please approve the new jcifs.smb.lmCompatability property
description for the API Overview page:

"This client can perform NTLM and LMv2 authentication. The default
behavior is to negotiate a mechanism however this can be specified
explicitly using this property with an integer that specifies the "level"
of security:

    * 0,1 - Use LM/NTLM (the default)
    * 2 - Use only NTLM
    * 3,4,5 - Use LMv2

These values mirror those used with the Windows registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa used for the
same purpose. See the page entitled <The NTLM Authentication Protocol>
for a technical description of these authentication mechanisms."

Good job,
Mike