[jcifs] Why would auth work on one server and not on another?

dave mobley scprotz at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 10 14:00:51 EST 2003

I have a basic question, and let me just comment really quickly that I am
not using a standard build of jcifs at this point.  (If you want to stop
reading here, that is fine, if this intrigues you though, read on!)

I have created a jdk 1.1 compliant version based on a hybrid of 0.6.8 and
0.7.8 (I needed the networking from 0.6.8 to be 1.1 and the NtlmServlet from
0.7.8 - so actually, this is an 0.6.8 build with the 0.7.8 ntlmssp package
and the http package bolted on and 'adjusted for').

I create an NtlmServlet and put it on tomcat (I'm using 4.1.12) and it works
fine...does the whole handshake and what not....the servlet displays the
user name if you authenticate correctly (or pops a prompt if you dont)

I move the same servlet, lock, stock, and barrel, over to a Domino server
(and by the way, I converted NtlmServlet to be JSDK 2.0 friendly - thats the
only kind of servlets domino understands).  I launch it here and here is
what happens (as far as my 'println' statements can tell me):

1: IE -> request a page from server
2: Server -> tells IE it needs to Auth using NTLM
3: IE -> says ok and sends back a blob
4: Server -> gets glob, does some fancy footwork, tries to send back blob,
but stupid IE has hung up

If I try the sametime with Moz 1.4 it goes through the whole process, but
throws an Encoding Exception at the very end (yet works on tomcat)

Any ideas,
any places I should look,
just anything at this point...

Also, if anyone wants a copy of this crazy, slapped together build (I know
it is completely un-official and all), just let me know and I'll forward it
to you.

thanks,

Dave Mobley
scprotz at hotmail.com