[jcifs] Winpopup

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jul 4 02:18:38 EST 2003

I have posted pointers to information on this in the past.  There was some
discussion as well.  Please see the archives.

Some things to note:
- On older Windows systems, there is a NetBIOS messenger service which
  must be running in order to receive messages.  This service registers
  two NetBIOS names:
    user<03>
    machine<03>
  Where 'user' is the username of the logged on user and 'machine' is the
  NetBIOS machine name of the system.

  If the messenger service is running, it will *receive* messages sent to
  either of those names.  The problem is that the messages won't be
  displayed (on Windows systems) unless the WinPopup application is also
  running.  WinPopup runs on the Windows desktop and does the job of
  actually displaying the received messages.

- On newer Windows systems there is a different service that handles this
  type of message.  The new service (which may also be called "the
  messenger service"--I'm not sure) is based on MS-RPC.  The client (the
  system sending the message) must first connect to the DCE endpoint
  resolution service on port 135.  That service (as I understand it) maps
  the function call request to the correct function in the correct DLL.

  The end result is that the client winds up making a function call on the
  server machine, and that function call pops up a window on the Windows
  desktop.

  I *believe* that this works on NT4, W2K, XP-Pro, and W3K.  I'm not sure,
  though, because I have not tested it.  I also believe that these RPC
  calls are not supported by W9x and WMe.  I have no idea about XP-Home.
  This is all guesswork, though, since I have not tested any of this.

- I know of no tool for *nix platforms which will receive either type of
  popup message.  There *may* be a receiver for the older type, but I
  doubt there's one for the newer type.

You could write a receiver for the older (NetBIOS) type of messenger
service if you wanted.  The problem is that you would also need to write
some sort of NBT name service daemon as well.  In order to participate as
a *service* in an NBT environment (and the message receiver is a service)
you need to actively participate in the NBT name service.  That means
registering names (with WINS, if there's a WINS server), defending them,
and responding to name queries as well.

Hope that's useful.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org