[jcifs] SbmSession and webapp performance

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed Jul 2 08:54:04 EST 2003

	Yeah, that doesn't really make any sense. If you're tripping up jCIFS code
	somewhere the best thing to do would be to get an Ethereal packet capture.

>  If I unplug
> the login process, performance is back to normal. Is the SbmSession somehow
> bound to the user session?

	If you use the NtlmHttpFilter it will try to store the
	NtlmPasswordAuthentication object in the HttpSession and use it on the next
	request. This should work with a 2.3 servlet container and is of course quite
	fast. If you cannot use the filter or for whatever reason the
	NtlmPasswordAuthentication object cannot be cached in the user's session,
	it will be noticably slower but very usable.

>  Is there a way to do SbmSession.logoff (I noticed
> that method exists but is declared with package level access)?

	No. Why do you think that would help you?

> I initially started with NTLM HTTP Authentication but that really made my
> app run slow under Tomcat. I thought that form based authentication will do
> the trick. I'm buffled...

	If something doesn't do what you expect it is always a good idea to get an
	Ethereal packet capture. It's standard on Linux boxen. Use a capture filter of
	'port 139 || port 80' etc. Send the capture to me directly.