DCE/RPC (was Re: [jcifs] Jcifs and user groups?)

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sat Jan 25 07:55:59 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:10:23 -0800
"Fletcher, Rich" <Fletcher at drs-tsi.com> wrote:

> Searched the archives, searched the FAQ, and didn't see anything regarding
> user groups.  Is there a way to ask if a user belongs to a particular group
> of users?  I'd like, of course, to have finer-grained control than "does
> this user belong to this domain?" (which is all the functionality that I've
> used/figured out at this point).

Nope. We need DCE/RPC for that. It's pretty much all layed out in Luke
Leighton's DCE/RPC Over SMB and we have full trasact named pipes. Someone
just needs to build from there. I suspect it's probably only another
2000 lines of code to get the first RPC working. But it's not easy code.

If we did DCE/RPC we could pretty much control everything from looking up
SIDs, NETLOGON, Unicode share named longer than 13 characters, changing
passwords, add/del shares, editing the registry, service control, editing
groups, users, aliases, the event log .... it would be a huge addition
to Java's capabilities but it would positively drive MS over the edge to
think that someone could write a Servlet that could reboot a machine :-)

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.