[jcifs] Creating file with hash ('#') in filename

Conrad Minshall conrad at apple.com
Sat Jan 18 22:45:54 EST 2003

At 12:53 AM -0600 1/17/03, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:22:08AM -0500, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
>:
>>  > This is the Unicode issue.  URLs must handle full Unicode in order to deal
>>  > with this stuff.  It is a problem, but it's not specific to the SMB URL.
>>  >
>>  Yes, it does seem to be coming down to Unicode. But it is specific
>>to the SMB URL.
>>  RFC 2396 does not appear to address Unicode. You cannot have
>>Unicode HTTP URLs
>>  for example. Thus the problem.
>
>HTTP URLs are just one example.  Still, "You cannot have Unicode HTTP
>URLs"...  That's why it's *not* specific to the SMB URL.  People may post
>all sorts of files on a web server.  If the filename is in cyrillic
>then...well, same problem even if it's accessed via HTTP.  It's a general
>URL issue.  URLs *should* support Unicode... but they don't.

Question: aren't some Microsoft sites already using unicode in their
urls?  I'll bet NB system names, sharepoints, and paths are all
happening in UCS2 and non-roman code pages.  In Japan for instance.
The jcifs perspective is of interest to me for my client "design" ;)

--
Conrad Minshall h:408-446-2323 rad at acm.org / w:408-974-2749 conrad at apple.com .