[jcifs] Accessing a local file using SmbFile

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed Feb 26 15:28:16 EST 2003

	No problem.

> find that I can't do this:
>
>     SmbFile test = new
> SmbFile("smb://testdomain.com.sg;admin:adminpswd@192.168.1.100/testLocal.txt");
> <-- on AIX machine

	Is your NT domain really 'testdomain.com.sg'? Also you do not specify a share
	which will definately be a problem but it should not give you "Connection refused".

> Got a "Connection Refused" exception.  Can I do this in the first place??
>
> So, I have to stream the data down, like this:
>
>             jcifs.Config.setProperty( "wins", "192.168.1.105" );
>
>             File test = new File("/home/train6/ac/testLocal.text");
>             FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream( test );
>             SmbFileInputStream in = new SmbFileInputStream(
>                 "smb://Agnes:agnespswd@192.168.1.105/aaa/testing.txt" );
>             int n;
>             while(( n = in.read()) > 0 )
>             {
>                 out.write(n);
>             }
>
> I find this quite primitive, so would like to know if there's a more
> direct way to do this?

	Why is it primitive? You should use a buffer though or it will be quite slow. And
	you can reduce this a little to
	new FileOutputStream("/home/train6/ac/test/testLocal.text").

> Actually, it all started with me requiring to read in and then process
> the contents of an SmbFile line by line, but found that there isn't a
> corresponding Reader/Writer in the jcifs APIs. Therefore, I resorted to

	SmbFileOutputStream and SmbFileInputStreams extend OutputStream and
	InputStream so you can do this:

	BufferedReader br =
	      new BufferedReader( new InputStreamReader( new SmbFileInputStream( url )));
	String line = br.readLine();

> duplicating a copy of the file on my local AIX machine, then use
> FileReader/FileWriter to process the file line by line, then make the
> neccesary changes to this local file, and then stream it out again to
> Windows machine.

	Not necessary. See the examples like Get.java.

> Excuse my ignorance, as I'm new to Unix, Samba and Java, but would
> really appreciate if there's a better solution than what I'm doing.

	Just keep trying. Eventually you'll figure it out.