[jcifs] smb://hostname/ works, but not smb://myworkgroup/ or smb:// - why?

Dani Ludin dani.ludin at unic.ch
Wed Feb 26 07:33:51 EST 2003

Hello,

the network I work with looks like this:

mycomputer     192.168.0.223       in WORKGROUP
remotecomputer 192.168.0.1         in WORKGROUP

- both run windows2000pro and jdk 1.4.1 and the latest jcifs package
- pinging both names returns correctly their corresponding IP.
- both computers (and their shares) are accessible in the "My Network
Neighbourhood"

I have this problem:
--------------------
Working on mycomputer, I can create a SmbFile with this URL:
smb://remotecomputer/ and I get a list of shares and drives on it, like it
should.

But I can't get a list of domains/workgroups or a list of computers
in a specified workgroup - I always receive a SmbException: unknown host.
The API says that
smb:// 	          represents a list of domains and
smb://myworkgroup/    represents a list of computers in a domain

When I can access the remote computer with smb://remotecomputer/
doesn't that mean, that my jcifs-properties should be correct?

I have played with the settings of jcifs.netbios.wins, first with
the IP of mycomputer, then remotecomputer - didn't help.
I also tried to make reasonable settings in jcifs.netbios.baddr, though
I think that this not the problem anyway, because both computers a in the
same subnet.
Also, all the hints from the FAQ didn't help.

WHAT else could be the problem here?

I am not experienced with jcifs at all, your help
would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Dani