[jcifs] threading

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Feb 23 16:59:09 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 12:31:06AM -0500, Dan Dumont wrote:
> That's fine with me, perhaps I did not make my intentions clear.  I
> don't mind if it blocks the thread.  What I do mind is that it blocks
> all other threads trying to connect also.
>
> The whole program locks up while I wait for one thread to connect.

That's because blocking occurs at the host OS process level.  I *believe*
that when a Java thread performs an operation that causes the JVM to call
a blocking system call, the entire JVM instance (which exists as a single
OS thread) will block.

This may depend upon the implementation, since some implementations may
behave differently (that is, they may implement threading differently).

I am doing a bit of guessing here, based on my earlier experience with
blocking DNS lookups under Java (many years ago).

Here's an interesting reference I stumbled upon:

  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/java-nbio/

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org