[jcifs] listFiles() problem - Access denied

Meletis A. Margaritis margaritis at ee.upatras.gr
Thu Feb 20 01:34:36 EST 2003

Hello everyone!

I get the following exception when I execute the SmbFile.listFiles() on
"smb://myworkgroup/" :

jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Access denied
 at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:494)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:126)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:102)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:132)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:522)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:484)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.sendTransaction(SmbFile.java:460)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.listFiles(SmbFile.java:1304)
 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.listFiles(SmbFile.java:1237)
 at IPDialog$LanScanner.run(IPDialog.java:882)

On other workgroups in the same LAN, I dont get this exception, only on
"myworkgroup".
I suspect that some server(s) are not accessible, at all, at least
without a proper authentication.

I would be very happy if the listFiles() method would return only the
accessible servers and leave the others out.
What I mean is, why not get i.e. the 5 out of the 6 servers of
"myworkgroup" and leave the 1 out?

Why should "listFiles()" return "ALL" or "NOTHING" ? Why not "SOME" ?