[jcifs] RFE's for NTLM HTTP Authentication

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Mon Feb 17 09:03:58 EST 2003

	This was done in 0.7.3.

> Also useful would be an interface which gives the application the
> possibility
> to reject the credentials and to demand others even if they are valid for
> the DC.
> For example they maybe  not valid for the application.

	This is very application specific behavior that I don't quite understand and sould
	be done by writing your own Filter with the NtlmSsp class.

> 2. RFE
> sometimes NTLM HTTP Authentication is failing or is suppressed for some
> reason.
> (for example some proxys are disrupting NTLM HTTP Authentication)
> this would leave a blank page in the IE window, because the jCIFS
> WWW-Authenticate
> response sends an empty body.
> Better would be an possibility/interface/responsebuffer for the application
> to provide
> a html body and/or additional response headers which could deal with such an
> incident.
> (For example a timed redirect to a fallback url or webpage which gives the
> user a hint)

	The bodies aren't empty but they are sent in a different packet. It's not clear to
	me why this should be a real problem because they just contain error message
	junk. I don't recall exactly why the body is in a separate packet. I believe it was
	necessary to keep the connection open during the 3 message dialog. This NTLM
	over HTTP thing is non standard so maintaining state accross the negotiate
	presented some problems. To pursue this further we would need to see a packet
	trace of the errant dialog.

> Hope this is also useful for others.
>

>  Charly
>

> appended class NtlmServlet