[jcifs] Character Set discussions

Glass, Eric eric.glass at capitalone.com
Mon Feb 10 21:17:40 EST 2003

The URI class always uses UTF-8 (regardless of the locale settings) to
interpret the escapes.  This is in line with the draft W3C recommendations.
Specifically, the java.net.URI javadoc states:

A sequence of escaped octets is decoded by replacing it with the sequence of
characters that it represents in the UTF-8 character set. UTF-8 contains
US-ASCII, hence decoding has the effect of de-quoting any quoted US-ASCII
characters as well as that of decoding any encoded non-US-ASCII characters.

Sun seems to be taking this stance on UTF-8 for most URL-related encoding
issues; java.net.URLEncoder and java.net.URLDecoder allow you to specify a
character encoding, but the javadoc warns that not using UTF-8 may introduce
incompatibilities.

Eric