[jcifs] Re: [OT] Java Based Master Browser

Matthew Tippett matthew.tippett at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 10 13:47:10 EST 2003

>>We are building an embedded system targetted at the consumer market
>>(nice and non-specific huh :).  We are using JCIFS to access local
>>machines on the home network.  Most corporate windows systems don't
>>become a master browser when they are not connected to a corporate
>>network.

> I'm not sure I understand how a "corporate windows system" differs from
> any other windows system.

As indicated in some other threads recently, the professional (read:
corporate) verions of  Windows when configured for Domain access turns
off LMB capability.  So if someone brings a work laptop home, they will
never go through an election, and consequently they will never become
the master browser on the network.

> So jCIFS is running on the "embedded system" on Linux connected to a
> LAN of consumer PCs? Nmbd runs on a lot of platforms including QNX. If

The consumer PCs are in the home environment (WiFi networked, etc).

BTW I am the first to admit that the only embedded part of our product
is that there is no Linux interface exposed to the user.

One of our baseline assumptions is that we consider the home PC to be
sacred, and consequently we must work with whatever file sharing is
present on the PC.

> Otherwise no, I'm not aware of a Java master browser service. Again,
> try Starlasoft. There's a link on our homepage. You might also look at
> the other "jcifs" although I think that project had a client focus.

Thanks for the pointers.

Regards,

Matthew
--