[jcifs] Re: [OT] Java Based Master Browser

Matthew Tippett matthew at casero.com
Sat Feb 8 09:50:48 EST 2003

 > If you are not trying to modify the behavior of the master browser I
 > do not see the benifit of not using nmbd. It should meet your needs
 > perfectly.

To maintain flexibility we would prefer to stay with a Java based
solution.  We may use nmbd but we may have to move off Linux into a pure
Java environment so we don't want to lose functionality.

 > PS: I never really understood what you guys are doing with jCIFS
(none of
 > my business either) but you do realize that jCIFS cannot register a
name
 > with the master browser.

We are building an embedded system targetted at the consumer market
(nice and non-specific huh :).  We are using JCIFS to access local
machines on the home network.  Most corporate windows systems don't
become a master browser when they are not connected to a corporate
network.

Consequently we can't locate the machines on the network (achieved
through the smb:/// URL) with those systems.  If we have a fall back LMB
we can fall back to what we need if there isn't a consumer windows
version available locally.

So we are using JCIFS purely as a CIFS client.  But without the LMB we
can't get very far at all.  Consequently the only server component we
forsee needing is a LMB of some sort. (see the first paragraph).

Regards,

Matthew

--
Matthew Tippett - matthew at casero.com - (647) 439 0102 x4117
Platform/Software Engineer - Casero Inc

-----

The information contained in this message is proprietary of Casero Inc.,
protected from disclosure, and may be privileged. The information is
intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s) of the
message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, use, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer. Thank you.