[jcifs] [OT] Java Based Master Browser

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 8 09:38:46 EST 2003

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:41:10 -0500
"Matthew Tippett" <matthew at casero.com> wrote:

> To work around network environments which do not have MSBROWSE enabled
> (corporate versions of windows), we are toying with the idea of
> providing a fallback master browser.
>
> Preferrably we want to have it Java based.
>
> So as a nice complement to JCIFS, can anyone suggest a master browser in
> Java?
>
> Worst case we may fall back to nmbd from the samba suite.

If you are not trying to modify the behavior of the master browser I
do not see the benifit of not using nmbd. It should meet your needs
perfectly.

Mike

PS: I never really understood what you guys are doing with jCIFS (none of
my business either) but you do realize that jCIFS cannot register a name
with the master browser.

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are