[jcifs] Character Set discussions

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 8 07:55:54 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:52:41 -0600
"Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale at UNISYS.com> wrote:

> > From: Glass, Eric [mailto:eric.glass at capitalone.com]
> > Subject: RE: [jcifs] Character Set discussions
> >
> > Yes.  The recommendation from RFC 2718 is to interpret the escapes as
> > characters from the UTF-8 character set.
>
> Whoops. Now I'm confused. I thought UTF-8 was just a scheme to handle
> characters with values larger than 0x7F (up to 32 bits), not a character
> set.

UTF-8 is not a "character set" but it is an encoding of the Unicode
character set which is composed of interger values up to 0x10FFFF called
"UCS codes" or "code points".

> Is there an underlying presumption in RFC 2718 that everyone is using
> Unicode?

Yes.

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.