[jcifs] Win 2003 support?

Eric eric.glass at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 20:54:52 EST 2003

>>JCIFS does not support SMB signing. If your Win2003 servers require it,
>>jCIFS will not work. Of course there is no way for me to tell what is
>>happening. To be certain, I would need two packet captures; one of NT 4.0
>>operating on Win2003 successfully and one of jCIFS failing to do the same
>>or similar on the Win2003 server.
>

> It is my understanding that SMB signing is turned on by default in W2K3.
> It can, however, be disabled or made optional.

That is correct; this might possibly explain some of the other
SmbSession.logon access denied errors (i.e., they are using Win2k3 or
have SMB signing required).  Here's an article explaining the process
for disabling signing:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/deployguide/dssbe_upnt_omte.asp

I was doing some work on enabling signing with jCIFS; I'll dig it up and
see what I can get going.

Eric