[jcifs] Win 2003 support?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sun Aug 31 10:13:58 EST 2003

> I've written a web based application using JCIFS .65 to allow users to
> manipulate files stored within their home directories on our Windows NT
> server (view, upload, download, zip, unzip, create directories, delete
> directories/files, etc.).  We've just upgraded to Windows Server 2003 from
> NT 4.0 and my application no longer seems to work.
>
> I'm currently working with jcifs-0.7.11ssnlim.jar and am receiving "access
> denied" errors when I attempt connect to an account and display filenames.
>  This is the same symptoms I recieved when using older Samba releases with
> Win2003 (due to the smb packet signing done on Win 2003).  Is jcifs
> compatible with Win 2003 servers?

JCIFS does not support SMB signing. If your Win2003 servers require it,
jCIFS will not work. Of course there is no way for me to tell what is
happening. To be certain, I would need two packet captures; one of NT 4.0
operating on Win2003 successfully and one of jCIFS failing to do the same
or similar on the Win2003 server.