[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbException: No description available[ERRSRV/90] - 15 Minutes per day

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Aug 23 05:33:38 EST 2003

> smb-error 90 means "Too many UIDs active on this session", so we assume,
> that the domain controllers do not have sufficent ressources to
> authenticate such a large amount of users in time.

Mmm. JCIFS has a "feature" that permits multiple sessions to be
multiplexed over the same transport (socket). In the case of the Filter
there is nothing to trigger the client to use a different transport so it
just logs on each client over the same socket. If the translation of your
message is correct it could be that the server would prefer clients open
multiple sockets rather than logging in many clients over the same socket.
That's a real shame because sockets cost a lot. What is the domain
controller? Is it NT 4 or Win2K, etc?

I wish there was a way for me to test this. I don't have a domain
controller handy that I can use to create hundreds of accounts on.

Having said that, ideally if you're using HTTP GET requests and the
NtlmPasswordAuthentication object (NPA) is being cached in the session
properly the Filter sets jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout to 10 minutes. Meaning
someone would have to log in every 10 minutes to keep the client from
closing the transport and releasing all sessions over it. So in theory you
should be able to handle more than 150 users at a time provided there is
an occasional 10 minute period between logins so that the transport is
dropped and users get by on the cached NPA in the HttpSession.

If you could tell me more details taking into consideration the above
perhaps I can tell you what the ideal solution is or make a change that
will  make this smoother.