[jcifs] jcifs+lantastic

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Aug 20 03:09:40 EST 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:51:39PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> Sounds like lantastic (?) is intercepting netbios messages. If that is the
> case then I do notthink there's anything you can do about it.
>
> Mike

Mike is right.

...but since this is kinda my 'thing' I have to chime in too.  :)

NetBIOS is an API, not a protocol.  Because it is an API, all sorts of
protocols can be tucked underneath it.  TCP/IP is by far the most common
these days, but there are lots of others.  NetBEUI, DECnet, IPX/SPX... all
of these can carry "NetBIOS traffic".

NetBIOS over TCP/IP is known as NBT (or NetBT or TCPBEUI).  jCIFS
implements NBT and SMB (SMB being yet another protocol that just happens
to be handled via the NetBIOS API).  Samba also implements NBT and SMB.

So, the problem you're having is at a different layer.  If you watch the
wire (using Ethereal), you'll likely see Lantastic packets containing the
data you're sending via NetBIOS.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org