[jcifs] NTLM HTTP Authentication with jCIFS

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Mon Aug 4 12:02:09 EST 2003

Hi Resin people,

I'm from the jCIFS project (http://jcifs.samba.org). I've been using Resin 2.1.4 to test our NtlmHttpFilter for negotiating NTLM creds with IE for authenitcating web clients against NT domain
controllers. I just tried the latest 2.1.10. It sure is fast. Whooo! Unfortunately it's too fast. NTLM HTTP Authentication doesn't work anymore. I get the attached error message (or a DNS error
strangely). I have been looking closely at the packet captures of 2.1.4 working and 2.1.10 failing. Surprisingly the content is completely identical (except for the server version number). The only
difference I can see is that the "Unfortunately Microsoft has added a clever ..." message is transferred before the client has a chance to ACK the previous packet (the initial HTTP/1.1 Unauthorized
response). I think IE must be seeing this as one packet and deciding it's a bad NTLM HTTP type-1-message.

Any ideas for a work around? I have captures if you want to look at them. Can you please make your server slower :-P

I would send this to bugs at microsoft.com for some reason I don't think that would work too well.

Thanks,
Mike

 <<Image1.jpg>>