[jcifs] new to jcifs

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Aug 1 01:12:42 EST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 02:29:53PM +0000, rajeev shrestha wrote:
> hi christopher.
>
> thanks a lot for ur immediate response. i really appreciate that. i am
> trying to use NetBeui protocol to communicate to the Server thru my VB
> application. so i suppose the jcifs ll be the right things, am i right?

You need to read my book.  It's online, so you can read it for free.
See http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/

jCIFS does not support NetBEUI.  NetBEUI is a low-level protocol and, as
far as I know, the only OSes that support NetBEUI are DOS, Windows, OS/2,
and possibly some of IBMs mainframe systems.  I imagine that there *may*
be a way to use VB to talk to the NetBIOS API and use that to send/receive
messages via NetBEUI.

jCIFS supports the SMB filesharing protocol over the NBT transport.  NBT
is defined in RFC 1001/1002 but, put simply, it provides a mapping between
the NetBIOS API and the TCP/IP protocol.

Your first step in this will be to understand the terminology and all the
poinky little protocols and acronyms that are involved.  Again, I strongly
recommend that you read my book.  Also, there are some very good documents
describing NetBEUI and NetBIOS listed in the References section.
I recommend:

   NetBIOS NetBEUI NBF Networking
          Timothy D. Evans, February, 2002
          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/timothydevans/contents.htm

...after which you may find these interesting:

   NetBIOS Specification
          Gavin Winston
          http://members.tripod.com/~Gavin_Winston/NETBIOS.HTM
          (Warning! Frames, Pop-ups, Advertisements...)

   LAN Technical Reference: 802.2 and NetBIOS APIs
          IBM Corp. 1986, 1996
          http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/BK8P7001/COVER

Good luck.

Chris -)-----