[jcifs] Multiple SMB Host Crawler

Dan Dumont Dan at canofsleep.com
Thu Apr 10 18:19:38 EST 2003

Since I last had this problem, I have had some time to go over and refine my
code.  Nothing I Have done has helped the situation.  So I have trimmed out
the very basic skeleton that displays the erroneous behavior.  Attached is
the source.

In theory this should work as follows...
In theory... :

The Overseer class should start out and launch 3 threads to crawl a mini
network that is defined in the constructor method. The threads begin to loop
grabbing off ip addresses from an iterator that returns addresses one at a
time.
If a thread receives an ip address, it will proceed to obtain a share
listing from the host that it has been given, and then print that listing
out to the console.

The behavior I would expect to see is the three threads retrieve an ip
address and attempt to access it.  If all three ip addresses are inactive
hosts, I should be seeing stack traces printed out after all three threads
time out at the same time.  This is not the case.  The three active threads
are in fact executing in a linear fashion.

This code is quite simple, yet despite great help from Chris and Mike so
far, I have been unable to either communicate my problem correctly, or
unable to communicate to them information that would help them troubleshoot
with me.

Like I said, the code is attached.  Plug in a few real ip addresses(that
have smb configured on them) but only 1 or 2 and watch how the stack traces
are printed.

Any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.