[jcifs] too much timeout when multithreaded

Benoit Daviaud benda472 at student.liu.se
Tue Apr 8 22:11:17 EST 2003

Hej,

Thank you for your answer.
I've been trying your ThreadedSmbCrowler. But I could just find the version
using list in the exemple directory. Your approch is more to have one thread
for every directory. My crowler is design to affect one thread for each
host.This thread performs a recursive crowling of the host. It is not
possible that more than one thread would work on the same host. When a
thread is finished with a host. It dies and a new one is created to crowl
the next host on the list. I check the number of living threads using
activeCount() in ThreadGroup.
About the BCAST option it was in the list but after WINS and we are actually
using a wins server. But I followed your advise and removed it even if it
didn't changed the problem.
In fact all this thread stuff is to improve the speed of the crowling (we
are working on a quite big network gathering approximatively 2500 hosts and
the normal crowling can long as much as 4 or 5 hours...) but I don't want to
sacrify exostivity for speed. It's not a real problem if the crowling long
several hours. (even with my current threaded crowling, it can still long 2
hours ...).
It is very clear that with 100 threads working in parallele on 100 different
hosts, I get almost no output, it seems that almost all call to listFiles()
on the directories result in a timeout exception. Even when the directory is
accessible (I check it using internet explorer...). On the other hand with
only 20 threads I don't have this problem and I get lots of output. The
thing is that I'd like to know where is the limit between those two cases.
Because I'd like to know if I miss some files even when using only 20
threads. And it is difficult to make a comparison because the number of
accessible files on the network vary from one second to another...
After some experimentations, it looks like the more threads I use, the more
files I lose. And there is no clear border.
I also have been trying to use the threadedSmbCrawler in the same situation
as mine. I still see the same behaviour when I specify 100 threads: I get
almost nothing as out, only errors. But againt it is the version using
list() and not listFiles() ...
In the worth case I will use a just a small number of threads and things
should be alright. But I'm curious to know why I have this problem ...

Benoit