[jcifs] Timeout connecting to AS400 using jcifs.

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Tue Apr 8 09:49:43 EST 2003

Well from looking at the dump the OemDomainName field in
the SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE response is 'IPC' in ASCII even though the
Capabilites and flags2 fields indicates Unicode is supported and
other strings appear to be Unicode. The result is the OemDomainName of
'?C'. In the SMB_COM_TREE_CONNECT_ANDX there are mixtures of 8bit and
Unicode strings. Again flags2 indicates these strings are Unicode. I'm
surprised this 'AS/400 Support for Windows Network Neighborhood' works
with Windows let alone jCIFS. Sorry, but there's little chance I would
add the necessary kludges to support such a poor implementation. It would
not be too difficult to add such hacks provided the result were only used
on OS400. First, try setting useUnicode=false. Then identfy every place
where strings are encoded and decoded and change the 'getBytes()' to
'getBytes( encoding )' and 'new String( bytes )' to 'new String( bytes,
encoding )' like jcifs-0.7.x does so you can add a jcifs.encoding=EBCDIC
property. Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to provide
platform specific patches. Perhaps you should speak to the vendor that
supplied this "server". Of course it's always possible that my diagnosis is
wrong. If you can get a packet capture of NT 4.0 <--> OS400 and jCIFS
<--> OS400 by all means send it to me and I'll confirm that jCIFS isn't
doing something that is casing the server to behave so strangely.

Mike