[jcifs] no name with type 0x00 with no scope for host.... revisted

Michael Hagedorn Michael.Hagedorn at NetIQ.com
Sat Apr 5 05:54:29 EST 2003

Can anyone comment on what causes this strange result?  I have experienced a
similar problem to what others on this list have seen, wherein the following
exception appears after a NbtAddress.getAllByAddress() call is made:

java.net.UnknownHostException: no name with type 0x00 with no scope for host
172.16.124.81> at
jcifs.netbios.NbtAddress.getAllByAddress(NbtAddress.java:508)
at jcifs.netbios.NbtAddress.getAllByAddress(NbtAddress.java:464)
 ... etc

The odd thing is, the first call works just fine, subsequent calls give the
response above.  No one seems to have answered what causes this in this
archive.. has anyone figured it out yet?

and just to clarify, no there isnt a XP machine involved here, its a W2k
box, on the same subnet.  It also works fine in all my testing environments,
but fails on a customers site.