[jcifs] SMB URL Parsing

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sat Sep 28 05:14:21 EST 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:29:53 -0500
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:12:05AM -0400, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> > Well  without  much  effort the standard Java 2 java.net.URL class seems to
> > parse  most everything ok. I think we're just going to have to require Java
> > 2  and be done with it. BSD was the hold up IIRC and I think they said they
> > run Java 2 natively now.
>
> Actually, it was embedded systems and Personal Java implementations.  I
> had some trouble with the Jeode system running Linux on the Sharp Zaurus
> palmtop (but I think the latter had to do more with Personal Java than
> with the rev level).
>
> jCIFS is modular enough, though, that folks should be able to write a
> class to handle any missing functionality if they want to port to
> something small.

Not if we make this change. The URL will be *the* SMB URL parser. We
have to use the Java 2 URL because the older one doesn't parse all the
fields. Once we move that's it. There's no turning back.

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are