[jcifs] SMB URLs in these screen shots (sort of)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Sep 19 15:13:22 EST 2002

"Allen, Michael B (RSCH)" wrote:

> http://images.lindows.com/info/screenshots/screenshot_gallery.htm

The idea for the SMB URL came from the KDE folks originally.  They wanted an
easy way to integrate SMB shares into their desktop environment.  I think
that the Gnome folk tried to do the same thing once as well.

Richard Sharpe was the first Samba Team member to pick this up.  I got
involved and Richard allowed me to take over (he was quite busy, IIRC).

The KDE implementation is actually built on libsmbclient, which is part of
Samba.  It is, unfortunately, not quite complete (but then neither is the
SMB URL draft).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org