[jcifs] How to list users of network domain?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Sep 12 04:15:36 EST 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 01:56:27PM -0400, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:35:31 +0300
> "Õåôúåë Òôðõìèôïó" <macroprose at ukr.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > is it possible to obtain the list of domain users?

If so, it is probably via some obscure RPC call.

> > I think if it's possible to enumerate computers and network groups,
> > it would be fine to have the possibility to list network users,

Not with normal SMB calls.  This would require something that talks to the
appropriate DLL on the DC side.  If you are running a W2K Domain, you
might be able to do this with LDAP calls.  No promises...

> > i.e. network user - is also a network resource, like network group or
> > computer or share.

...but it is stored differently and accessed differently, at least under
WindowsNT.  Again, if it's a W2KDomain then you probably want to look into
LDAP.  If it's an NT Domain then it will be an obscure and probably
undocumented RPC call if it exists at all.

> I've never heard of such a thing and if there is a way jCIFS cannot do it.

Right, since we don't have a complete MS-RPC architecture built and we are
not implementing LDAP.  jCIFS really isn't the right tool for this
problem.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org