[jcifs] Master Browsing Caching

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Fri Oct 25 19:00:11 EST 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 01:10:21 -0500
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:00:11AM -0400, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
> :
> > This is a bug in 0.7.0b5. It should try your supplied creds and if that fails
> > it should try domain "", username "", and password null which will almost
> > invariably work. I'm on a LAN with 300 domains and all the machines
> > deliberately disable GUEST. 0.6.6 works and so will 0.7.0b6.
>
> Really?  Kewl!
>
> I need to see what smbclient does because there are servers in my own home
> which refuse to provide the browse list to smbclient.  I'll need to play
> with the command-line options.  I should be able to reproduce the
> "","",NULL creds.

Actually I think this is more commonly known as "anonymous" logon.

Just from playing around with examples/List.java a little it looks like
anonymous works on everything except for my NT machine which is not
a member of an NT domain. I know anonymous works on the same build if
it's a member of an NT domain. But Samba and Win98 have no problem with
it. You can even list shares.

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are