[jcifs] Master Browsing Caching

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Oct 25 16:10:21 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:00:11AM -0400, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
:
> This is a bug in 0.7.0b5. It should try your supplied creds and if that fails
> it should try domain "", username "", and password null which will almost
> invariably work. I'm on a LAN with 300 domains and all the machines
> deliberately disable GUEST. 0.6.6 works and so will 0.7.0b6.

Really?  Kewl!

I need to see what smbclient does because there are servers in my own home
which refuse to provide the browse list to smbclient.  I'll need to play
with the command-line options.  I should be able to reproduce the
"","",NULL creds.

> 	This is not true. Names are cached for 30 seconds.
> 	Then make cachePolicy = 5.

Right, but he's also right that making a global change for a specific name
is not always good policy.

In general, I also think that being able to access the list of IPs
returned in response to a group name query makes some theoretical sense.
It would probably require another method, though.  The problem of
collecting the list of IPs is easy in the rare cases (eg., <1C> names) in
which WINS behaves correctly and actually keeps track of all the IPs.  It
is harder in the case of a broadcast query.  Do you wait the additional
.5sec to see if anything turns up, or do you receive the replies in a
separate thread and add them as they come in?

It's late.  I'm rambling.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org