[jcifs] Master Browsing Caching

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Fri Oct 25 13:31:15 EST 2002

	That is pretty interesting considering you have to connect to IPC$ to retrieve
	the browse list.

> , others are set up to use plain text passwords.

	Also interesting considering retrieving the browse list usually uses null
	credentials but if not you can set disablePlainTextPasswords = false.

> So, the two areas that I am interested in 'enhancing' are as follows.
>
> 	o The __MSBROWSE__ name should not be cached in NbtAddress

	Why?

>  :- a quick
> change to getCachedAddress stops the cached name ever getting used.
>
> 	   	if (hostName.name.equals(NbtAddress.MASTER_BROWSER_NAME)) { return
> null;  }

	Set cachePolicy = -1.

	All jcifs properties are described on the Overview page of the API documentation.

> 	o Currently the NameServiceClient  waits on the first Name response
> before continuing, if there is more than one response (if there are
> multiple domains on the network), then we should probably wait for all
> the master browsers individually you should find yourself with an very
> complete idea of domains on the network.

	We're not going to do this. We do what NT does. You should be able to collect
	domain names fine listing "smb://". Sure it *might* create a more complete list if
	you have machines going up and down like yo-yos but it's not behavior that is
	observed in any other clients I don't really see the benefit.

>   From my understanding of CIFS
> each WORKGROUP/DOMAIN has it's own Master Browser, even though the
> master browsers should have all DOMAINS in their browselist.

	This is not quite right. Each subnet has at least one master browser. I don't know
	if there is a master browser for each workgroup. I don't think so. Chris?

> As an aside, I have noticed that in NameServiceClient.java at line 367.
>
> 	name.name != NbtAddress.MASTER_BROWSER_NAME
>
> is used, I would assume that
> 	(! name.name.equals(NbtAddress.MASTER_BROWSER_NAME))
>
> should be used instead, since the != would only compare the object
> references.

	To query for a master browser you do:

	  NbtAddress.getByName( NbtAddress.MASTER_BROWSER_NAME );

	in which case the same String object is always passed in and therefore
	comparing object references is indeed the correct behavior. In theory you
	could do getByName( "\u0001\u0002__MSBROWSE__\u0002" ) but I'd
	make sure you're wearing clean underwear before you try that!