[jcifs] jcifs-0.7.0b4 released

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Mon Oct 21 19:29:34 EST 2002

	Ok. So it's probably not being igored. I'll roll out 0.7.0b5 packages in the
	next day or two

>   With the second item in place ("close" instead of "Keep-Alive"),
> however, the server responds to the type 1 with:
>
> HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
> Connection: close
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:08:35 GMT
> WWW-Authenticate: NTLM XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> Server: Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14 (HTTP/1.1 Connector)
>
> and the connection gets closed.  I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on
> the client.  IIS doesn't appear to explicitly include any "Connection:"
> header, which I'm guessing is because it assumes the client will know that
> it needs to keep the connection alive in order to successfully negotiate
> authentication (actually, I just tested removing the "Keep-Alive" below, and
> it does work properly).  Your message seemed to indicate that in your
> scenario the connection was being closed at this point (but negotiation
> still worked).  Could this be an IE version difference?  It may be that IIS

	You're right. I looked at my trace again and there is no Connection header at
	all when returning the type-2-message.

> doesn't care whether the client keeps the connection or not.  However, if I
> explicitly ask IE to close the connection at this point I get an error.
>
> The third item (setting the content length) also appears to be necessary in
> my environment; without it, I get the response
>
> HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:13:40 GMT
> WWW-Authenticate: NTLM XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> Server: Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14 (HTTP/1.1 Connector)
>
> and IE just hangs around (I'm guessing expecting some sort of content).
> Adding the content length header, I get:
>
> HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:20:51 GMT
> WWW-Authenticate: NTLM XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> Server: Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14 (HTTP/1.1 Connector)
>
> and IE sends the type 3 response properly.  This is probably
> version-specific as well; if I don't set the content-length, but do a
> "resp.getWriter().println()" it also works.  I'm guessing that IE 5 simply
> requires a content-length header of 0 if no content is going to be sent.

	I've been using Resin to test this stuff. Whenever you send back the 401
	Unauthorized Resin appends this:

	<!--
	   - Unfortunately, Microsoft has added a clever new
	   - "feature" to Internet Explorer.  If the text in
	   - an error's message is "too small", specifically
	   - less than 512 bytes, Internet Explorer returns
	   - its own error message.  Yes, you can turn that
	   - off, but *surprise* it's pretty tricky to find
	   - buried as a switch called "smart error
	   - messages"  That means, of course, that many of
	   - Resin's error messages are censored by default.
	   - And, of course, you'll be shocked to learn that
	   - IIS always returns error messages that are long
	   - enough to make Internet Explorer happy.  The
	   - workaround is pretty simple: pad the error
	   - message with a big comment to push it over the
	   - five hundred and twelve byte minimum.  Of course,
	   - that's exactly what you're reading right now.
	   -->

	I'll just set the content-length header to 0 and we'll see how that goes for a
	while. That's what I was doing before and I didn't hear any complaints (at
	least not with that).