[jcifs] Understanding of jCIFS project

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Oct 1 06:48:10 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 03:13:54PM -0400, Joseph Kezar wrote:
> Is there an aspect of the jCIFS project that will allow one to share a
> directory/file/printer.  I have a directory on my linux filesystem that
> I would like to share.  We are currently using samba to perform this
> task.  Is there any way I can share a directory with jCIFS?

No, jCIFS does not act as an SMB server.  It might be possible to take the
jCIFS code and build a server system based on it, but that would be a
large project.

What you can do (and this is what people are busy doing) is use the jCIFS
client code to build a servelet, and connect that to a web server.  A web
browser can, then, connect to the web server and request access to CIFS
resources at the remote end.  The servelet uses jCIFS to access those
resources and presents them via HTML to the web client.

You could build CGI code to do the same sort of thing.  Keeping state is
the difficult part.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org