[jcifs] Just an idea...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Nov 24 06:26:20 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:47:24PM -0500, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:21:23 -0600
> "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
>
> > jCIFS currently places the name "foo" into the "Native LAN Manager" field
> > of the Session Setup AndX.
> >
> > I think it should say "jCIFS".
> >
> > If "foo" is safe, then...
>
> My understanding is that the 'Native LAN Manager' field is supposed to
> indicate what type of server is running. Because jCIFS has no facility
> to determine if it's Windows, Samba, or whatever, I punted. Thus 'foo'. I
> see no reason to change it.

The SessionSetupAndX Request comes from the client and is sent to the
server, so I don't see how it could be the server type.  As you point out,
the client cannot know the server type until it gets the Response message.

Windows 95 and 98 clients fill this field with "Windows 4.0", Windows NT4
says "Windows NT 4.0", and Windows 2000 uses "Windows 2000 5.0".  All of
these in tests against a Samba server.  So really, when sent by the client
the field contains client information.  Smbclient sends "Samba".

So my thinking is, since it doesn't seem to matter anyway, why not put
"jCIFS" into that field?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org