[jcifs] Java 1.3 Required

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed Nov 20 12:02:32 EST 2002

	Just to be perfectly clear. I believe you're talking about the URI class introduced
	in 1.4. This is not required by jCIFS. The URL method that jCIFS requires is this
	set() variant:

	  void set(String protocol, String host, int port, String authority,
	            String userInfo, String path, String query, String ref)

	This was actually introduce in Java 1.3 (aka Java 2). A actually though this was
	introduced in Java 1.2 but it appears I was wrong. Uuhhhg! The 1.3 release notes read:

	"Improved system flexibility through changes in java.net.URL, java.net.URLConnection,
	and java.net.ContentHandler. The URL parsing now better matches the rules specified
	in RFC 2396. Some new methods have been added to obtain the components of a
	parsed URL."

	But having known that I don't think it would have made any difference. To support
	java.net.URL properly (and class loading using smb:// URLs and all the other stuff
	that comes with it) we have to use URL internally.