[jcifs] Session Keep-Alive

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed May 15 09:33:20 EST 2002

	Note, there is one issue with Ethereal that frustrated me to no end one day. Ethereal
	reconstitutes hex output from decomposed messages. I know this because when I fixed
	the SMB URL and send Unicode (UCS-2LE) pathnames they would appear in Ethereal
	as an 8bit encoding. It was very strange. Only when I ran jCIFS log=ALL option did I
	see the real Unicode output. Beware.

> I imagine that, due to the nature of the connections jCIFS makes, we don't
> have to fuss with these much.  Is that true?

	Yes. jCIFS drops keep-alives. See jcifs/netbios/SocketInputStream.java:

	            switch( SessionServicePacket.readPacketType( in, header, 0 )) {
	                case SessionServicePacket.SESSION_KEEP_ALIVE:
	                    break;

	Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a server that sent keep-alives.