[jcifs] Microsoft releases ball and chain.

Caldarale, Charles R Chuck.Caldarale at UNISYS.com
Fri Mar 29 06:59:09 EST 2002

> From: Christopher R.Hertel [mailto:crh at ubiqx.mn.org]
> Subject: [jcifs] Microsoft releases ball and chain.
>
> Of interest:
>
>   www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=37530
>
> Some rules...
>
> - If you want to look at the Microsoft document, please be
> sure to perform the document extraction on a Windows system.
> The document is provided as a .exe file.

Not only is it packaged as a Windows executable (really just a ZIP file),
it's actually a compiled html help (.chm) file. Doubt if you can read it
anywhere other than a Win98/NT4 or above platform.

Running the .exe does not produce any licensing warning - it just unzips the
.chm and its index file. There is no separate readme or anything else of
that nature. Within the document, in a section entitled "Legal Information",
you can find the following statement:

"THIS TECHNICAL REFERENCE IS AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO REVIEW, HOWEVER, IF YOU
WANT TO IMPLEMENT THE TECHNOLOGY DESCRIBED IN THIS TECHNICAL REFERENCE, YOU
MUST SIGN AND RETURN TO MICROSOFT THE ROYALTY-FREE CIFS TECHNICAL REFERENCE
LICENSE AGREEMENT."

The upper-casing is Microsoft's. Nowhere, however, does it give you a clue
as to where you might actually find the "ROYALTY-FREE CIFS TECHNICAL
REFERENCE LICENSE AGREEMENT".

 - Chuck

P.S. I stopped reading the .chm when I hit the all-caps paragraph...